Pages

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Very Hungry Caterpillar cake

This is a cake I made for a friend last month. I actually pinned it with no one specific in mind.  I already have a theme for Olivia's party this year but I just thought it was super cute!  Anyway, a friend of mine saw the cake and asked if I could make it.  At first I was really intimidated but I decided to give it a try.  It ended up being one of my most fun cakes and I'm sure I'll end up doing it again.  It's far too early to start planning birthdays for next year but I have a feeling the Very Hungry Caterpillar will be a top contender. 
I just used the image from the book's cover as a guide and cut a shape out of parchment paper that looked like the caterpillar.  I made the head seperately so it could also be used as the smash cake.   Since it is covered in fondant I think it might be hard for a baby to dig into.  For the body I marbled different shades of green fondant by using green (of course) black, blue, yellow and white colored fondant.  I even used a little green luster dust on a few of the pieces.  I didn't want to go crazy with the shimmer because it was for a little boy but for a girl I might glitter it all up ;)
The head is covered in red fondant and the eyes were just cut free-hand.  The legs, antenna and lining look really dark but it is actualy chocolate fondant.  I think it tastes pretty good... especially compared to the regular fondant.  The dots were cut out using the bottom end of a wilton icing tip and the board is covered in white fondant.  This cake took SO much fondant.  I usually decorate cakes with buttercream and add fondant accents so this was a little different for me.  Overall, I am really happy with the way it turned out and my friend seemed really pleased too. This last pic was taken when I had just finished it before I put it into the cake box.  I added a little cupcake for the birthday boy but this pic just has an empty cupcake liner.  So what do you think? Is the Very Hungry Caterpillar a good theme for a party or what?

***update: I didn't add any links in this post.  I'm working on how to remove them but the links you see are ads so don't click on them.



1 comment:

  1. Hi mama Hayes! Super cute cake...looks just like the book! I just wanted to stop by and tell you a little more ablout the cork backsplash. I used hot glue to attach the corks, super easy! Thanks for stopping by! Tabitha@ simplyhomecents.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete