Pages

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

I'm a winner!

I'm baaaaaaaaaack!
No I didn't die... or join a cult that doesn't allow Internet... or drop off the face of the Earth.  Oh yeah, I might have done that last one.  I am finishing up my last semester of nursing school. I graduate Friday and I couldn't be more excited to get my life back and start spending more time with my friends and family!!!  I just wanted to give a quick shout HELLO! and give you a recipe.  The weekend before last we went to a chili cook-off and guess whose chili won first prize? That's right... yours truly! I even got an awesome trophy that is displayed with pride right next to our wedding pic!
 I meant to take a picture of the chili itself, but it was all gone before I got a chance.  That's a sign of a good dish! So here's the recipe for my Champion Chocolate Chili!

Champion Chocolate Chili
  • 1 lb bacon (diced)
  • 1 lb spicy Italian sausage
  • 1 lb sweet Italian sausage
  • 1 large can (29 oz) tomato sauce
  • 2 cans of Rotel diced tomatoes with green chilies
  • 1 small can of plain diced and peeled tomatoes
  • 1 medium white onion (diced)
  • 1/4 cup (or less) Sweet Baby Ray's Hickory and brown sugar BBQ sauce (or you could add brown sugar and liquid smoke to taste)
  • 1/8-1/4 cup chili powder (depending on the amount of kick you like- I'm a weenie so I used less)
  • 1/2 Tbsp Italian seasoning
  • 2 cans dark kidney beans
  • 2 cans light kidney beans, and finally...
  • 2 one-ounce squares of unsweetened bakers chocolate
  1. In your stockpot combine tomatoes, tomato sauce and Italian seasoning over medium heat.
  2. Cook bacon until crisp.  Then, stir it into the stockpot.
  3. In the same pan, brown the Italian sausage and stir it into the stockpot.
  4. Caramelize the diced onion in the same pan and stir it into the stockpot.
  5. Add BBQ sauce and chili powder to taste.  Adjust as necessary.
  6. Stir in the kidney beans (undrained)
  7. Stir in the chocolate squares.  They take a while to melt so keep stirring.
I made this Thursday night and the cook-off was early Saturday afternoon.  After it was finished I put it in the fridge until Saturday morning.  I took it out, heated it up on the stove again, then transferred it to my crockpot.  I think making it ahead of time really let the flavors come out.  This is a little bit sweeter chili but with the spice it was perfect!  Thanks so much to Ashley and Court for hosting the 7th time! 

No comments:

Post a Comment