Pages

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Cake Reveal

It took me a little longer than I had hoped to get pictures up of the cake I made this past weekend.  Better late than never, right? That's actually the story of my life.  I am a chronic procrastinator but that's another story for another post. So without further ado, here is my 3D mushroom cake!
First let me start with the significance of this cake.  I made this cake for a welcome home party for a guy I met last year that has been stationed overseas.  We have a lot of mutual friends but I don't know him all that well. You know how when you meet someone you can just kind of tell that they are a good person? Well, that's "Shroom".  My husband and I are both veterans so I guess there is an instant camaraderie there but he's just a really nice guy.  Also, he thinks my cakes are awesome and tells me so.  He asked if I would make him a cake a while back and of course I said yes.  Flattery will get you everywhere with me ;)  I know you wouldn't guess by the photo but his nickname "shroom" actually came from his hairstyle. Although the hair has gone, the name has not. Isn't that funny?

Okay, for the details...
I know I said I wasn't going to use fondant or modeling chocolate but I changed my mind and it really paid off.  I think it does look professional(ish) and it was a huge hit! It's hard to say this humbly but this cake was de.li.cious!!! I mean, it might even be better than my triple chocolate chip cake.  I call it *White Velevet* It was SO good! I kind of made up the recipe but you can find it here.

I lurk on Cake Central for cake ideas all the time. I saw a lot of mushroom cakes but they looked like little fairy cottages more fit for a young girl's birthday.  So, I decided to just wing it.  The first thing I did was create my own cake stand.  I just hot glued a pilsner glass and a glass plate together.  I tried covering the base in RKT but it just didn't work out. Unfortunately, I had to eat the RKT myself.  I made some modeling chocolate (recipe here) and wrapped the base with it then put my cake on top.  I know it was a simple shape but the cake was really easy to carve.  I cheated with the buttercream. I was in a pinch so I just bought a couple pounds from a bakery then added a bunch of powdered sugar to make it more stiff.  Don't you love my exact measurements? I covered the cake with BC then added my fondant. I don't make my own.  It's just not worth it.  I can never get it right so I use Satin Ice.  It's what Buddy and Duff use so I think it's good enough for me.  The spots are also modeling chocolate rolled out the same way you roll fondant. TADA That's it!  I really feel like it's up there with some of my best cakes.  It was a challenge but I think it turned out better than I imagined.  Leave a comment and let me know what you think.

1 comment:

  1. The cake was awesome, even if the cake was for me! When I first saw it I was like a cartoon character cause my jaw hit the floor and my eyes got really huge. I was like this cake is to cool for words, but then I taste it and it was out of this world. I got two slices of cake and I thought I was lucky to get two cause everyone there love it. Cassandra and her husband are two of the coolest and nicest I met. It would of been an honor of course to serve in the same unit cause I would of known I had a brother and sister in arms thats got my back. Plus I would of ate kick-butt cake down range and Nick could of help with my golf swing too. Thanks again Cassandra for the Shroom Cake.

    ReplyDelete