Pages

Monday, March 14, 2011

It has begun


I have been wanting to make a little play kitchen for Olivia for the longest time.  I really thought I would finish it in time for Christmas but it is the middle of March and I'm just getting started.  I've built a few things before like this picnic table and a few beds like this one. 
I really need to take updated pics so that you can see it painted.
This is my first build with Nic.  It has been a little bumpy, I guess you could say.  It's funny because when I first started building, he didn't want me using his tools.  I don't really think he had faith in my abilities and he may have been a little worried I would injure myself.  I don't blame him for the last one because I am quite clumsy.  Well, now that I have a few builds under my belt, I feel like I know what I am doing.  I am in no way a perfectionist but I just think my way is best.  I'm not sure why but I didn't want him to cut the wood. I guess I didn't think he would take the same measures to make sure each piece was cut just right.  However, I don't like his saw (which was dead anyway) so he ended up cutting the last pieces by hand.  He did alright ;)
It is a little colder than I thought it would be so we moved the operation indoors. It hasn't been too  messy so far.  I finally used my Kreg jig and I LOVE it! I don't think I'll ever build without it again. Nic was predrilling holes and I got to use some of my dental hygienist skills by providing suction (vacuuming sawdust) as he drilled. I guess that's more of an assistant's skill- oh well.

So day one and here is the beginning of a sink... or stove.  They are actually the same thing until you put the stove door on. 
Tomorrow we will finish the body of the stove and get started on the fridge.  We're waiting on the doors until we get the boxes built so we can decide what will look best and what we actually have the skill to do.  I got my inspiration from this kitchen I saw on Ana-White.com last year.  It is so cute! I thought I would make it exactly the same and even paint it powder blue.  Now, I'm not so sure.

Since, I waited so long, I have been looking at more and more play kitchens in blogland.  The more I looked around, the more ideas I got and I just kinda tweaked the plans a little bit until I came up with something that I really liked.  I am going to try my hand at carving a retro-styled refrigerator door.  I'm also thinking about painting it a sweet light pink, but I'm not ruling out the blue just yet.  I have found some cute knobs but I just can't seem to settle on a sink that doesn't cost more than the project itself.  Also, I would love to find that flower scrub brush.  I've seen them around but none that stand on their own like the one in this pic.  If anyone knows where I can get this, please let me know.  Olivia's birthday is a little over a month away.  My goal is to finish it completely- finishing touches and all- before then. That should be no problem right? You know- with party planning, showers, cakes, and oh yeah... nursing school.  It will all be worth it though.  I know she will just love this and it is SO sturdy. It will last for years!  I'm sure with Nic's help I will get it done in time.  Don't you think this will make a great birthday present? 

3 comments:

  1. I am amazed at all you do, and you do it all SO well! Keep up the awesome work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's the link for the flower scrub brush!! I saw it in Pier 1 and almost got one for Bella cause she loved playing with it.

    http://www.pier1.com/catalog/browse/0403.dining-accessories

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK I got a scrub brush but it didn't stand on its own so I went and got this one from pier one today! Thanks Chels

    ReplyDelete