Pages

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Thrift Store Finds

I'm getting ready to throw a party and I want to make my own cake stands with uniquely shaped plates and cups or candlesticks.  So, sometimes I'll visit a thrift store.  I'm usually disappointed.  I don't know if I'm just not going to the right stores or the area but it seems like I'll never find something like what I have in mind.  This visit was no different.  I found nothing I could use for the cakestands but I did find these!

Yes, I know they're hideous.
 A few weeks ago I made a couple cornice boards for my bedroom using foam core board, duct tape and a staple gun.  Oh yeah, and fabric. Now, I'm thinking about making them for every window in my house! It's so easy and affordable.  I actually had everything I needed in my house already. They look great (in my opinion) and you would never guess they were foam board.  They are also very lightweight.  So, if you're thinking about window treatments for your nursery or toddlers room, this is a good option.  You won't have to worry about little monkeys tearing the curtains down and hurting themselves.  I want to make them for my living and dining room windows but they are 73 inches wide.  I just don't think the foam board will support its own weight over that length.  I figured I would get some lumber and make them but I have a couple other projects going on right now.  Plus, the lumber would be about $30 for each cornice and I'd rather spend the $60 on my play kitchen or a spa pedicure.  Enter these hideous boards. I got all 4 for just $8.45!!!  The black ones are the exact measurements I need for the dining room window and either my backdoor or bathroom window. The other beauties are the right width for 2 more windows but they're a little tall.  I was thinking I would either just shorten them or carve a curve or scallop on the bottom.  So, now I just have to yank that nasty fabric off and recover them with something that I have not yet chosen.  I'm not sure when I'll get to this project but I couldn't pass up this deal.

2 comments:

  1. I can never think up clever ways to use thrift store junk! I see several bloggers using thrift store finds to make neat things!...but I can never picture the junk turning into something neat when I see it at the store.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I have to be able to go alone and have an open mind. If I'm on the phone or have to bring the baby I get distracted and nothing comes to me. It's funny though bc it seems like whatever I go in looking for brings me to something else. I never even thought about using thrift store cornice boards. I must have seen them before bc there were a TON there. I go in for saucers and come out with these beasts that didn't fit in my car LOL

    ReplyDelete